- About this policy
- Collecting your personal information
- Use and disclosure of your personal information
- Overseas disclosures
- Job applicants
- Our marketing and your personal information
- Storage and security of your personal information
- Access to and correction of your personal information
- How to make a complaint
- Contact us
1. About this Policy
We also provide specific privacy collection notices relating to our particular services and practices, where required under Australian Privacy Principle 5 (“Privacy Statements”). View our current Privacy Statement.
2. Collecting your personal information
The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us and the service you have requested. It may include:
- your personal and contact details and date of birth. We may also collect information about your travel history, travel preferences, other loyalty programs memberships, employment details and special interests, if you provide this information to us;
- information about your travel and other transactions resulting in Velocity Frequent Flyer Points, Rewards or Status Credits being claimed, earned, transferred or redeemed;
- payment information in connection with products or services purchased through the Velocity Rewards Store or eStore;
- IP address or MAC address when using our website or mobile applications;
- if you use social media to interact with us, any information that you allow the social media site to share with us; and
- information relating to your dealings with us.
2.2 Collecting health and other sensitive information
We may collect health or other sensitive information about you if you provide it to us in connection with your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership or your other dealings with us.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you contact us with a general enquiry, we will not ask for your name unless we need it to adequately handle your enquiry.
However, for most of our functions and activities we usually need your name and contact information.
2.4 How we collect personal information
We collect your personal information in a number of ways. We may collect your personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- provide personal information to us, for example, when you join Velocity Frequent Flyer or update your membership details, subscribe to our email or other communications, enter a competition, provide feedback to us or otherwise interact with us;
- visit or transact through our website, Velocity Rewards Store or eStore, social media channels or mobile applications;
- apply for a position with us;
- complete a form for us; or
- contact us by phone or through our website. We record all calls and so we will collect any personal information you provide during a call.
We may also collect personal information about you from someone other than you. This may include our related entities and:
- our airline partners and Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners;
- third parties where you apply for and use one of our Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partner’s credit or other loyalty program cards, in order to process your card application, Velocity membership join and award Points, Rewards or other benefits in connection with that card;
- Rev Australia Pty Ltd, the distributor of the Global Wallet product;
- recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a position with us and with your consent; and
- our service providers and contractors (such as marketing agencies and payment fulfilment and fraud protection providers).
We may combine personal information we receive about you (whether from you, our Velocity Frequent Flyer Partners, related entities or third parties) with other information that we hold about you.
2.5 Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can provide you with our services and any products that you may have requested, to contact you and to carry out our functions and activities.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- assessing and processing your application to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program and managing your membership;
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you about your membership and membership transactions;
- identifying and arranging benefits for you connected with your membership, including frequent flyer program points earning/redemption, Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partner recognition and benefits;
- contacting you with marketing and promotional material about our offers or promotions, and those of our related entities, airline partners, Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners and third parties, and to identify products, services and membership benefits and rewards that may be of interest to you;
- responding to feedback, queries and complaints; and
- helping us to continuously improve the services and products we offer.
3. Use and disclosure of your personal information
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. We will also use or disclose your personal information for a secondary (but related) purpose, where you would reasonably expect us to or we have your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- Virgin Australia Airlines and our other related companies;
- our Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners, airline and non-airline partners for points or rewards recognition and benefits and to identify partner products or services that may be of interest to you;
- your family members who are part of a Family Pooling arrangement;
- Rev Australia Pty Ltd, the distributor of our “Global Wallet” product, if you are eligible to receive or request to receive a Global Wallet enabled Velocity membership card;
- our third party product and service providers, including those providing technology and related support services, call centre services, promotions and prize fulfilments services, marketing and advertising services, data analysis and business intelligence services, payment fulfilment and fraud protection services and security services;
- our professional advisers and insurers; and
- comply with our legal, audit, reporting and investigations obligations and for operational or regulatory compliance purposes.
4. Overseas disclosures
We may disclose your personal information to organisations or persons located outside of Australia. The countries in which these organisations or persons are located will depend on the circumstances, but in the course of our ordinary operations, we generally disclose personal information to third parties located in the countries where:
- our third party service providers are located, that is, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, The Philippines, Turkey and United States of America; and
- our Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners are located, that is, all countries worldwide. We will only disclose your personal information to an overseas Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partner where necessary to process a transaction for you.
5. Job applicants
When you apply for a job with us, we will generally collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your contact details, career history and education details. We may also collect sensitive information from you, for example, medical information or criminal history, if it is relevant to the role that you are applying for, and whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties with your consent, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees. We collect personal information for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application. We will hold your personal information for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Our cookies collect your IP address or MAC address, the city associated with your IP or MAC address, the date and time of your visit to our website, pages viewed, the URL of the website that you viewed before our website and the type of browser you use.
We also use Google Analytics which is a web-tracking tool that generates detailed statistics about traffic to our websites and traffic sources. This tool can also measure and record conversions and sales. It only provides us with aggregated data (not personal information of our website visitors).
The cookies and web-tracking tools allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device you are using and to help us improve the content and functioning of our websites and mobile applications.
7. Our marketing and your personal information
We may contact you by email, text message, post or phone to let you know about membership benefits and promotions offered by us, our related entities and Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners. We also use internet-based marketing including targeted online advertising and online behavioural marketing.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities and Velocity Frequent Flyer Program Partners to allow them (through third parties or us) to tell you about a product or service that may be of interest to you, based on your membership details or transactions with us. Our marketing agencies may also contact you using your personal information that they already hold, or we may provide your personal information to them, in order to serve you with more relevant advertising about our services and products.
You can contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us, our related entities or our partners. If you receive a marketing email from us, you can opt-out from that particular category of marketing email by clicking on the “unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email or logging in to your Velocity Account and going to “My Preferences”.
8. Storage and security of your personal information
We mostly hold personal information electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information.
We take reasonable steps to protect the information that we hold about you from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We do this by having physical and electronic security systems and by limiting who can access your personal information. We also have online and network security systems in place for our websites, so that the information you provide us online is protected and secure. However, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Please contact us if you become aware of any breach of security.
9. Access to and correction of your personal information
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information that we hold about you, please contact us on the details below. We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable time of you making the request and give you access in the manner you requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Sometimes we will be able to respond to your query over the phone, but sometimes we may need your request in writing and we might need some time to gather the requested information and get back to you. These more complex requests usually take us between 14 and 30 days. We might need to send a copy of the information to you by post or we might ask you to come and see us to have a look at the information.
Making a request is free. But depending on what information you request access to, we may need to charge you for giving you access to the information. The charges will not be excessive and we'll let you know if a charge will apply before we proceed with giving you access. There is no charge for correcting your personal information.
If we refuse to correct your personal information that we hold, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
10. How to make a complaint
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you within a reasonable period of time.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly. However if you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 1042
Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
If your complaint relates to our airline services (rather than being privacy-related), you can contact the Airline Customer Advocate, which provides a complaint handling and dispute resolution process for eligible airline customers.
We will post all updates to our privacy page.
12. Contact us
Writing to us at:
PO Box 1034
Spring Hill QLD 4004